Friday, October 12, 2007

Pumpking Tips

“Pie pumpkins” are the most flavorful variety for use in baking. Pick when fully ripened—the color will be deep orange, and the stem will easily break loose when ready to harvest. Wash, peel and remove seeds. Cut pumpkin into chunks and steam until soft. Puree using a food mill or processor. Cool and pack into freezer bags or containers in the amounts needed for recipes. Use cup-for-cup in place of canned pumpkin. –Test Kitchen

My pumpkin pie is often requested for potlucks, so I double the recipe when I make pie for my family. Extra baked pies get wrapped three times in plastic wrap and once in aluminum foil, then frozen. This wrapping makes transporting the frozen pies easy. At the potluck, I unwrap and thaw the pies for a convenient and delicious dessert. –Elisabeth W., Spencer, Indiana
I add 1 or 2 tablespoons of molasses to my pumpkin pie filling. It gives the pie a richer color and flavor. –Julie S., Corpus Christi, Texas


I think the crusts of apple and pumpkin pies are even better when I sprinkle nutmeg over the pastry dough. –Lorrie A., Cardwell, Montana
Leftover pureed pumpkin adds great flavor and nutrition to a batch of chili. –Jean L., Deephaven, Minnesota.


If you rarely use pumpkin pie spice in your cooking, you may want to make your own instead of buying it. Combine 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Store in an airtight container. Substitute for store-bought pumpkin pie spice in any recipe. Yield: 7-1/2 teaspoons. –Test Kitchen
To enjoy a bit of pumpkin at any time of year, I add several heaping tablespoons of canned pumpkin pie filling to a package of sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix. I make the pudding with 2% milk but reduce the amount called for in the package directions by about 2-3 tablespoons. –Ione K., West Bend, Wisconsin


My family doesn’t care for pie crust, so I make pie fillings without the crust, which means less fat and fewer calories! For pumpkin pie, I double the filling recipe, pour the mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and bake at 350° for 50 minutes (or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean). For other pies, I put the pie filling into a pie pan or similar-size dish that’s been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. –Barbara T., Beaverton, Oregon

No comments: